Sunday, March 28, 2010

An Off Day

I've said this many times and I honestly mean it: I love being a stay-at-home mom. But it's not always sunshine and roses, and when you have to leave the baby cry room because your child is crying so much, you know you're having an off day.

Today was Palm Sunday which means it's a very crowded mass. Grace and I got to church a few minutes early to ensure a spot in the cry room. But soon, because all the pews in church were filling up, people without children started coming into the cry room to grab a seat.

It got very full in the little room, and this is when Grace decided she wanted to run all over the place and say hello to everyone. When I wouldn't let her do that, she threw a fit- whining, screaming, and inconsolable crying. Halfway into the mass and she was in full on melt down mode. I tried everything to get her to calm down, but it was all useless. Those with children were looking at me sympathetically and those without were looking quite annoyed.

On the one hand, those annoyed people should understand that they are in a CRY room, but on the other hand, I didn't want us to be the reason for people not to be able to worship properly. So I snuck out the side door and spent most of the rest of mass outside. I was tempted to just walk to the car and leave- I was that frazzled, but it was Palm Sunday and I didn't want us missing out on it either.

The rest of our day was spent at home because she wore me out at church. I didn't have energy to go anywhere else and risk another melt down. I tried to pack for our upcoming trip to Virginia Beach, but Grace wouldn't entertain herself no matter how hard I tried to persuade her. She wanted my undivided attention at all times. Until she went to bed for the night, I didn't even get a chance to eat except for the random Cadbury Mini Eggs that I grabbed from the candy bowl as I chased her around the house.

My normally sweet girl was a cranky little thing today. But I guess we all have our off days. This was definitely hers.

Running away from me in the middle of changing her.

3 comments:

Meagan said...

I'm sorry you had such an off day. Those days sure do drag on, and on, and on. Hopefully tomorrow is better!

Julie, the mama said...

Off days do seem to last a lot longer than on days, don't they! :-)

Julie, the mama said...

Off days do seem to last a lot longer than on days, don't they! :-)