Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Big Ol' Basket and Two Eggs

I woke up extra early this morning to make some pancakes for breakfast. I was so excited about the egg hunting and I wanted to make sure Grace had a good breakfast in her before the egg gathering.

I also had a pretty pink dress all ready for her to wear, but at the very last minute, I changed her into some capris because I wanted her to be able to move quickly and with ease in order to gather up the maximum amount of eggs possible. With our practice session yesterday, I was sure she would do great.

When we got there, it was pretty crowded, but thankfully, her age group got to go first and parents were allowed to help them. One of the things I love about being a parent is that you get to participate in all these kid things again. Nothing like living vicariously through your child.

She was having a good old time people watching and I kept trying to point out the eggs on the field and reminding her that they go in her basket. Finally they blew the whistle and the egg hunting began. After much coaching from me, she reluctantly picked up one egg. All the while, other kids were scooping up the eggs around her left and right, and if I hadn't helped her out by picking up another egg for her, she would've ended up with only one. She thought watching the other kids was more fun than picking up the pretty eggs.

Oh well. I was only kidding when I said yesterday that she'd only end up with two eggs at the egg hunt. It turned out to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Grace did indeed end up with only two eggs. But she had a great time and that's all that matters.

Next year, I'll start training a little earlier than just the day before.



She didn't much care for the Easter Bunny either.

0 comments: