Monday, March 15, 2010

Grocery Day

Today was supposed to be grocery day. I spent a good part of Grace's nap working out the menu for the week and making my list. Normally this is actually fun for me, but without Mike here to cook for, it's just a chore. Especially since I try to find things that will be just as good as leftovers since there's only me, and sometimes Grace, doing the eating.

When Grace finally woke up and we were ready for some food shopping, I had a change of heart at the menu I put together. Nothing on the list seemed very appealing to me. I re-surveyed the contents of my pantry and freezer and decided I could still make one last emergency meal.

One of the things I ate often growing up was torta, a Filipino quiche-like dish where you just throw together whatever you have in your fridge, saute it, put it all in a baking dish, pour some beaten eggs over the whole thing, and stick it in the oven. Thirty minutes later you have some home cooked goodness that you can eat with rice and ketchup.

I realize it may not sound very appetizing, but it's comfort food to me so I loved it. And it turns out Grace loved it too. I had already fed her dinner, but when she saw what I was eating, she asked for a bite. And then another. Finally she asked to sit on my lap where she proceeded to eat half my meal.

Grace is still climbing up on that bench. If I don't hear toys being played with and it gets all quiet in the house, I know she's climbed the bench again. She knows how to get up, but not down. Not that she cares since she seems to enjoy her little perch and stays up there until I finally have something else to do and put her back on the ground.

In the first picture, I caught her happily singing to herself. In this picture, I asked her what she was doing up there and she gave me the shoulder shrug.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

I did the same thing with grocery shopping here! I usually go on Tuesday, but just couldn't bear the thought of it today. The dinner you made sounds wonderful! I am always impressed with all that Grace eats! I wish my child ate like that.

Julie, the mama said...

That shoulder shrug is about the cutest thing I have ever seen!