Saturday, March 20, 2010

Celebrating Spring

The moment I've been waiting for arrived today- the first official day of spring! I wanted to celebrate by doing something special, so right after breakfast, Grace and I ventured out to enjoy the beautiful weather at the Jacksonville Zoo.

Apparently, every family in Jacksonville with young kids had the same idea. The place was packed! But the zoo is so big and spread out that it really didn't matter. We saw plenty of animals up close and despite what it looks like in the pictures, Grace loved every minute of it. She screamed with delight whenever she spotted the animals I pointed out, and went absolutely crazy if it was an animal she is familiar with from her favorite book, Dear Zoo.



Even I had a great time, although I had to carry her in one arm and try to maneuver the stroller through the crowds with the other arm for most of the day. It just got too tedious to have to take her out of the stroller so she could see every time we came to a new exhibit. I was very impressed with the zoo. The crowd was huge, but the way the place was designed, everything flowed well. They even had a children's play area and spray ground that we didn't have time to check out today.

I was extremely tempted to buy us family passes for the year. (I've been tempted quite a bit lately, haven't I?) But with Mike gone for most of the year, I thought it would be better to wait until he got back.

I can't wait to go back again. It was the perfect way to celebrate the beginning of spring.


4 comments:

Joannemay said...

It got a huge makeover Cicely. Interestingly, that was one of our LAST visits before moving to Japan. James was not there either, as he left for Japan before us. The Jaguar exhibit is nice.

Guess that means you'll need to visit the San Diego Zoo with us in the summer. I bet we can find you a ticket for less than $200 to get here!

Daddy said...

This love of animals proves we need a dog! Welsh Corgi, here we come!!!

Meagan said...

It looks like you had a wonderful trip!! I really miss being able to go to a normal, nice zoo.

And the bow is just too cute for words!

Julie, the mama said...

oh, we just love the zoo, too. I also love the look on Grace's face in some of those pictures. Priceless.