Thursday, May 6, 2010

Impromptu Beach Time

Mike absolutely loves everything about Jacksonville. Before we got married, one of the prerequisites was that I was willing to retire with him in Jacksonville. Okay, not really, but it was implied. Very heavily implied.

But so far my time here has left me with just an okay impression. Not too bad, but nothing close to fabulous like my husband always promised. I know this lukewarm impression has a lot to do with the fact that Mike isn't with me. If I could have my little family complete, I know the fun factor would increase exponentially.

Every day I try to find ways to improve my outlook on the place I call home for the next couple of years. I've scoped out the closest Chick-fil-a's and Targets and I've already figured out which shopping malls are my favorite. I'm still in the process of finding the best things to do around town with a toddler.

This afternoon, after Grace woke up from her short nap, I didn't have anything planned. We had already gone to the neighborhood park and played with bubbles in the front yard. The sun was shining so I thought: impromptu beach time!

Normally beach time with Grace means careful planning and packing that involves taking lots and lots of stuff. But this time, I threw a towel in her diaper bag, slathered her with sunblock, and off we went. I didn't even bring any beach toys. I figured we'd find Mother Nature's treasures on the beach and she could play with those.

I've discovered that impromptu beach times are the best. She had a blast digging in the sand with shells and fearlessly running straight into the water. By the end of our time at the beach, Grace was wet, sandy, and most importantly, exhausted. The fact that she was in bed by 8:30 tonight shows just how successful impromptu beach time was.

If I could have fun like this every day, then I think Jacksonville can redeem itself, one beach day at a time.

Don't know why this picture is so hazy, but I love the flip flops!

1 comments:

Meagan said...

Sounds like a great day! And I agree, those flip flops are just precious.