Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Price of Cute

I once went shopping with my mother-in-law and I about died when she bought Grace a pair of dress shoes from Gymboree that cost as much, if not more, than what I normally pay for my own pair of shoes. Today's incident of insanity made that little moment seem like we were getting those shoes at the clearance section at Payless.

Mike was shopping for a new pair of Sperrys this afternoon, but they didn't have his size in the color and style he was looking for. So he tried on a knock off brand, found it to actually be much more comfortable than his normal Sperrys, and felt good about getting such a deal on some nice shoes.

I casually mentioned that I once saw some Sperrys for babies. A few minutes later, Mike showed me a pair of baby Sperrys that was an identical match to his knock off shoes. Just for fun, we put them on Grace. Big mistake. Once they were on her, they were just so stinkin' cute that I knew my baby girl just had to have them. Even though they cost twice as much as her dress shoes from Gymboree.

Mike looked at me like I had lost my mind. But after a little cajoling from both his girls, the sweet man made his way to the register to pay for two pairs of shoes- knock off Sperrys for him and the real deal for his baby girl. A daddy's love is priceless, but sometimes the price of cute can be dang expensive.



6 comments:

Joannemay Estoesta said...

I love that Mike is diggin' the matchy, matchy. Next year, we're going to invest in another Family Hawaiian outfit.

Josyl said...

I agree with Jojo..I love the matchy matchy.^^ People do it on a regular basis here. Munsik and I did when we went on a trip last year. hahah Some people match down to the undies!! REALLY. ~~

Julie, the mama said...

Oh, I just love, love, love this story. From the picture it looks like Grace loves, loves, loves those new shoes. Tell Mike to be prepared, the older they get, the more expensive the toys! :-)

Beth said...

What size shoes is she wearing?

Nellie said...

the boys are going to FLIP when they see grace has boaters! where did you find them?!? i always order online but i'd love to try them on the kids first!

Mike and Cicely said...

Beth - they're 5.5's. Nellie - we got them at West Marine at the Town Center.