Monday, August 23, 2010

Microwavable Mac'n'Cheese

Mike has duty every three days which basically means that Grace and I don't get to see him every three days because he has to spend the night on the ship. When he told me about this schedule, it didn't seem so bad because I thought we'd be able to see him for dinner on those nights he couldn't come home. But various work issues and random thunderstorms have prevented us girls from visiting our guy during the past two duty nights. It also means we can't bring him food so he has to resort to eating microwavable mac'n'cheese in styrofoam cups. Poor guy.

This morning Grace and I hit up the library for some DVD's and books and then went to Chick-fil-a for lunch. All was going well until my baby girl got shoved hard by this bully of a boy who kept exclaiming, "Ugh, there's a baby in here! Get out of the way!" (Picture a smiling Grace just minding her own business getting a two handed shove from behind causing her to stumble hard on the ground). I could feel the mama bear coming out in me and it took all I had not to discipline that boy myself. Especially since his grandpa didn't feel the need to say anything at all about the situation. He was too busy fiddling with his Blackberry.

Thankfully my tough girl just laughed it off. But I was fuming and in my passive-agressive way loudly told Grace it was time to go because it was obvious there were kids in the play area that didn't know how to play nicely. No reaction from grandpa. Still entranced with the Blackberry.

The rest of the day was nice and low key. When an afternoon thunderstorm rolled in, Grace and I went out on the balcony to enjoy it. She loves watching the rain come down and isn't afraid of the sound of rolling thunder.

After watching the thunderstorm, it was time for dinner. We had microwavable mac'n'cheese in a styrofoam cup. I did, however, steam some fresh broccoli to go with it and made a fruit salad for dessert to make me feel less guilty about feeding my child microwavable mac'n'cheese from a styrofoam cup.

5 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

Those Chick-fil-A playgrounds are great, but they sure can be rough when those mean ol' boys take over. My Mama Bear claws have come out a time or two in one of those places.

I did have to laugh about the mac and cheese...mine have asked for that EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for the past week.

Joannemay Estoesta said...

Girl, you are WAAAAY to nice. You just got a guaranteed ticket to Heaven because Jojo and James would have shoved the kid back! Apparently, it does take a Village and I would be the Pack Leader disciplining kids AND parents! And I would have asked Grandpa for his number so I could text him what an Idiot he is! And James would have used the F word... For real!

Lola said...

Good thing I was not there or else I'll tell the boy I'll pulvorize his little face. Remember back in korea when a boy was elbowing your head in the school bus?

Someone can mess up with me but not to my baby....

Mike and Cicely said...

Goodness gracious, Lola and the Estoestas! Y'all are a force to be reckoned with. LOL :)

I'm never really mad at the kid in situations like this because kids are KIDS. It's always the adults that upset me when they don't take action and correct their child's misbehavior.

I think it helped that Grace was actually laughing at what happened. If she ended up hurt and started bawling, I can't guarantee that I would've been as nice.

Nellie said...

it's called texting while parenting...
i agree completely! you are way too nice! i would have unleashed the baggett boys on that kid. nobody needs to push that sweet little girl around. i have disciplined others' children (verbally) and we're all better for it...go get 'em tiger!