Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Daddy's Dinner

Today was Mike's first day back at work and he also had duty, meaning he has to stay on the ship overnight. After being together constantly for the past two weeks, it's back to reality for all of us. To alleviate any withdrawal symptoms that we may suffer from, Grace and I brought Mike food and joined him for dinner on the ship.

There was a time when bringing Mike food at work was a common thing. In Japan, we were a newlywed couple and I was fully embracing my new role as a doting wife and homemaker. I would make everything from scratch and packed all the necessary plates, bowls, cups, and napkins for an enjoyable meal. And cloth napkins too, thank you very much! I would make sure to wear a cute little outfit, complete with high heels, with my hair all done and face made up, so he would know what he was coming home to at the end of his work day.

I know it sounds very 1950's of me to have done all that, but I actually enjoyed it. It was like pretending to play house when I was a little girl, except I was doing it for real as a grown woman!

Tonight, I picked up his meal from the McDonald's drive through window. I was wearing the same outfit I wore all day while running errands, my hair pulled up in a bun, and any makeup I applied early in the day was long gone by the time I saw him this evening.

Oh, how times have changed.




1 comments:

Michael said...

Grace seems to thoroughly enjoy her visit to the ship. She has such a command presence sitting in the bridge wing chair!