Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Home at Last

I don't think you could find a happier woman out there than I am right now. My husband is finally home. We survived this deployment and although it was incredibly challenging, I'm proud of my husband for doing his part for our country.

The past seven months have been such an emotional journey and it all ended on the pier this morning, standing in the HOT sun and humid weather, and finding our favorite guy among all those uniform whites. What a great feeling when he finally spotted his girls holding up his sign! As he crossed the brow and went down those stairs to meet us, I no longer cared that I was completely drenched in sweat and the hair that I took an hour to do was limp and lifeless. I just wanted to be in his arms and I hoped he wouldn't notice what a hot mess I was.

The rest of the day after that moment has been everything I hoped this homecoming would be. Grace warmed up very quickly to her Daddy and now she doesn't let him out of her sight. Her first question after her nap was, "Daddy?" Mike is just in awe at how much she's grown. I get so tickled with how much he hovers over her because he doesn't realize that she knows how to run all down the sofa and get up and down chairs all by herself. After all, when he left she wasn't even walking yet! And I just enjoyed watching my two loves getting reacquainted.

What a wonderful day! A special thanks to Christy Spurlock for capturing our homecoming moments for us. And of course I wouldn't have survived this journey without the love and support from all our family and friends. Your thoughts, prayers, and words of encouragement kept me going and gave me strength during this deployment.

My view from the pier.

His view from the ship.

Cuddling with Daddy.

Time for presents! Gold earrings and a beautiful filigree bangle from Bahrain.

Adorable clothes for Grace.

5 comments:

Josyl said...

i love you guys! so glad u guys are finally reunited! c, you look tiny!! go ahead girl. GET IT!! make them babies! hehe

JulieB said...

I always read your blog and I love it! I just happened to check it but I really did not expect to see anything! Thank you so much for posting the pictures and the write-up! Even though I am in Japan it feels like I am right there with my friends, the Augustine's. Cicely, you are beautiful and don't look like a "Hot Mess"! I am sure Mike would agree. Mike looks handsome. Thank you Mike for all your hard work in supporting our Country. Thank you Cicely and Grace for supporting us too by being away from him Mike for so long!
I respect your family so much! I miss you guys!

Julie, the mama said...

So, I just sobbed my way through this precious blog post. Love it. Love y'all! LOVE that your husband is home.

Nellie said...

yaaaaay! i'm SO SO SO happy for you guys. i feel like "our" deployment is finally over! can't wait to hang after your awesome vacation.

Christy said...

awe, you are so very welcome! I am honored to do this little part. You and Grace were absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!