Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hangin' With the Uncles

Virginia Grace, fifteen months old today!

Today was the last free day we had with the Uncles so we took full advantage by spending the day together. First it was church where Grace was a chatterbox and charmed the guy sitting in the pew behind us by dancing and singing whenever a hymn was played. Of course, she sang the only song she knows, "Rock a Bye Baby," which really just sounds like her saying 'baby' over and over again. Then whenever she heard a collective 'Amen' from the congregation, she would clasp her hands together and loudly exclaim, "Amen!"

By the end of the mass, he and his wife were ready to take Grace home. Literally. Because she went to them and it took a lot of coaxing from me and the Uncles to convince her to come back to us.

After church, we headed to Baker's Crust for some lunch because I was craving my corn and crab chowder and dessert crepe. I was actually able to enjoy my meal because Grace napped while I ate. That hasn't happened since she was a newborn! And even then it didn't happen all that often.

Then it was off to the mall where the Uncles babysat while I searched in vain for the perfect pair of jeans. No luck today, but I did get a nice surprise while Grace and I were in the pet store checking out the dogs and birds. Mike called! I handed Grace off to the Uncles and tried to find a quiet corner in the store to talk. I hid amongst the cat scratching posts chatting away when a little girl came up to me and started asking me all kinds of questions about what kind of animal would use this thing (A cat, honey) and what exactly is it (A scratching post, sweetie) and how do they use it (I'm not quite sure, hon).

I felt bad because she was a cute little thing, and I was torn between teaching her all I knew about scratching posts and ignoring her so she wouldn't ask me any more questions. The educator in me won out and poor Mike had to be patient while I ignored him and answered all her questions.

The rest of the day was spent just hanging out at home together and watching a movie. What a great way to end a wonderful weekend.

Crepe Noisette- chocolate hazelnut filling, toasted almonds, coconut, vanilla ice cream, and whipped cream! I normally don't share this dessert with anyone when I order it, and Mike can attest to that, but I was nice and generous today and shared with the Uncles.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

What a day! The look on Grace's face is just too precious in the top picture.

Sooooo glad you got to talk to Mike!

I hope you have a safe trip home!

Julie, the mama said...

I think that top picture of Grace might be one of my favorite yet.

And I'm still giggling about the cat post story. Glad you got to talk to your sweet husband.