Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday Mishaps

I like to think I'm a pretty optimistic person. Unfortunately, that optimism didn't help prevent some of these Thursday mishaps...

I promised Josh that I would make him dinner this week and when I woke up to a cold and drizzly day, I thought Chili Con Carne would be perfect. So after making a grocery run, I started cooking. Halfway through the process, I realized that one of the key spices I bought was not in the grocery bag. I sent Josh to go see if it fell out in the car. He said he couldn't find it. I went out and searched because, afterall, he is fourteen and they're not known for doing the most thorough job (Sorry, Josh). I still couldn't find it. I had no choice but to run out to the store to buy it again. The whole ride to the store I was fuming at the bagger for not doing his job properly. I came back home- cold, wet, and miserable- and finished cooking the chili.

Later, as I was putting away Grace's baby food, I found the darn spice I was looking for. I immediately felt guilty for mentally cussing out the bagger boy.


As the chili was simmering, I went upstairs to put Grace down for a nap. When I came back downstairs an hour later to check on the progress of the chili, I found this disaster. I must have not closed the cupboard all the way and Lucky dog found a way to get to the trash.


When it was time for Grace's evening bath, I found that the tub in our bathroom wasn't draining properly so to make things easier, I decided to bathe her in Lola and Lolo's soaking tub. It turned out to be much harder than I thought. She didn't enjoy the experience and I pretty much ended up taking a bath with her. I know this is such an unflattering picture of me, but my goal is always to document it all- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

But even before the bath incident, there was a diaper incident. Josh was my bath time assistant and as I was putting Grace into the tub, I handed him what I thought was just a wet diaper, but it turned out to be a little more than he bargained for. Unbeknownst to me, she had left a little present. A present that rolled off the diaper, landed on the floor, and in his shock at the surprise, he accidentally stepped on.


Being the optimistic type, not EVERYTHING was a mishap today. I tried to give her whole milk for the first time since she's just a few days shy of being a year old, and she actually drank it. I had nightmares of her rejecting milk and having to nurse her until she's five. Nursing has not been my favorite thing; it's one of those things I do because I know it's best. I've been looking forward to the time when I can start weaning her off, and I'm hoping that her taking the milk is a sign that the transition will be a smooth one.

0 comments: