Monday, January 25, 2010

One

My baby is one. I did my best to cherish the moments from the past year because I knew they would pass by all too quickly. And sure enough, in what seems like a blink of an eye, my baby is officially no longer a baby, but a toddler. I've been receiving weekly email updates since the moment I found out I was pregnant, and today, instead of saying "Your baby is 11 months, 4 weeks", it said "Your toddler is one." I have to admit, I got a little teary eyed when I saw that. But I don't care what those emails say, Grace is still, and will forever be, my baby.

When I think back to exactly a year ago, I remember some pretty rough times. Newborn days are so hard! I knew they would be, but until you actually experience it, you just really have no idea. I was still so sore from the c-section, getting absolutely no sleep, and having a horrific time with nursing. Thank goodness I had such an awesome baby team, my husband and my mama. We were all so in love with our tiny little baby that the pain, the exhaustion, and the traumatized nipples (official terminology in my nursing book)- it was all worth it. I also knew there were better times in store for us and if we could just get through this boot camp portion of parenthood, we would be good to go. At least until adolescence.

Today, the pain of the c-section is gone and is replaced with one nasty looking scar, I still don't get enough sleep, and my nursing days are numbered. Each new phase of her life gets more fun, but it also has it's own set of challenges. When she learned to roll over, I worried about SIDS because she suddenly liked to sleep on her belly. When she became more mobile, I worried about her getting hurt. When she started solid foods, I worried that my milk would dry up and she wouldn't get the proper nutrition. Motherhood is filled with lots of laughter and fun, but it's also a big ball of anxiety. I was never much of a worry wart. Until I became a mother.

Grace has filled our lives with immeasurable joy. She is such a happy little person. Her smiles and laughter are contagious. She is completely charming, and I think she's starting to realize that. She'll show you 'beautiful eyes' and a 'stinky face' if you ask her and she'll dance to any tune. She knows how to show love by hugging and gives the sweetest little kisses.

But if she doesn't feeling like showing you any of her tricks, there's no forcing the girl. She can be quite stubborn, actually, especially during bed time. Maybe determined is a better term.At the age of one, she already knows her own mind. I can't count the number of times she'll try and try again at a skill until she's mastered it.

She's quite a copy cat right now and it's so easy to teach her new things. When we pray, she knows to fold her hands when we say 'Amen'. Just today she learned how to 'shush' by putting her finger over her lips. Occasionally the finger slips and goes straight into the nostril. But I think she does it on purpose because she knows the reaction she'll get if she does that.

My girl is so much fun right now. I'm excited to see what her next year will be like. I only hope it doesn't go by too fast. The old adage 'time flies' takes on a whole new meaning when you become a parent. Only then do you truly realize how quickly time slips away. As always, I will do my best to cherish each moment.


We had a little birthday celebration with family tonight. I made our family's traditional birthday dinner, spaghetti, because the noodles represent long life. The party extravaganza is scheduled for Saturday.


Didn't quite know what to think of her slice of birthday cake. Grandma baked it, Uncle Josh decorated it.

Daddy couldn't be with her, but he sent gifts!



A kiss for her new doll. She loved it!

She loaded up all her gifts from Daddy into the tricked out stroller Lola gave her.



4 comments:

Mike said...

Happy Birthday, Sweetheart. Sorry I couldn't be there for your special Day. I love you.

Daddy

Meagan said...

Cicely, I cried reading your post. My "baby" is eight and I now cry on her birthday. I swear, she was one just yesterday. Time sure does fly once you are a parent. Grace is so beautiful and full of life. I think you would be hard pressed to find a baby who enjoys living as much as your Grace.

Happy Birthday Grace!

Julie, the mama said...

Sweet, sweet post for a sweet, sweet girl! Love that adorable Grace!!!

Judy said...

What a sweet little girl. I can't believe she's one as well! Time really does fly by fast. We are so sorry we had to miss her 1st bday party today. Despite the snowy roads, we were unable to make it because Kuya Daniel ran a fever last night. He was bummed that he couldn't go outside and enjoy the snow. We'll have to get together before you head back to Florida. Happy 1st bday to Grace!