Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Elmo Reinforcement

I'm in absolutely no rush over this potty training thing. Especially since we just bought a jumbo pack of diapers from Costco on Saturday. Grace can take her sweet time and I'll really be okay with it.

So this morning I sat her on the potty after she asked to go and after a couple of gassy moments, she said to me, "Uh-oh, I don't have any poo-poo's. Sorry, Mama." I waited a bit longer, just in case, and then decided it was a false alarm.

Two minutes later, after she had a diaper back on, I noticed she was in her getting-ready-to-go stance. I tried to get her on the Dora potty, but the girl ran away from me. She would not climb onto the potty no matter how exciting I tried to make it seem.

Now, I know I said I was okay with her taking her time, but I thought some Elmo reinforcement couldn't hurt. I had heard about an Elmo Potty DVD that supposedly works wonders with reluctant potty trainers, so we headed to Target to see if we could find it. We were lucky- there was one left. While we were there, I also picked up a pack of pull-ups and a coloring book on potty training.

We immediately popped in the DVD when we got home and that thing is hilarious! She definitely enjoyed it and I did notice an increase of wanting to go to the potty after watching the video, but nothing actually ended up in the toilet. But we're in no hurry. We'll just keep on trying and she'll get it eventually.

For the record, in case one day she gets all upset that I took a picture of her on the potty, she actually asked me to take this picture.

1 comments:

Nellie said...

ok, so i know i have boys and they take longer (...at everything) but a deuce was the last thing they mastered! eli's still working on it. it's usually 6 months after mastering pee. i think they have to get used to the different position. any way, work on the pee. eli tries so hard some times he accidentally poops and then totally expects m&ms.
she's such a cutie pie! even on the potty!!