Monday, August 15, 2011

Ready for School?

If it were up to Grace, she would be ready to ride that big yellow bus tomorrow morning. The girl is so ready to start school. She sees the school supplies on display at the stores and gets all excited, thinking she's headed off to school soon, too.

I hate to break it to her, but when the kids here go back to school next week, she'll still be stuck hanging out with her mama.

However, Mike and I have started the conversation about Grace's preschool. Mike would be okay with her starting preschool at 2 years old. I think it's a little young. He thinks I just have separation anxiety. He might be correct.

Still, why rush the process? She can most certainly wait until she is at least three. Besides, I have a Master's degree in education. I know I've been out of the classroom for a few years, but I think I can handle teaching numbers, colors, shapes, and the alphabet.

Mike would like her to attend a Catholic school. I agree with him. I would love to put her in an environment that would foster her faith and love of God. And the earliest age they accept students is three years old here in the local Jacksonville area, so it works out perfectly with my timeline.

But here's a little confession that will make me seem like the most shallow person in the world. The Catholic schools that we were looking into have their students wear uniforms. Now usually I'm all about school uniforms, and I think young kids look quite adorable in them. But I also have visions of my child wearing cute smocked dresses in seasonal and educational themes, complete with a matching bow and mary jane shoes. In fact, I've already begun to buy her back-to-school outfits in anticipation for her first day of school next year.

Which is why just a teeny-wheensy part of me wishes Grace just attend a regular preschool so I can put her in the darling outfits. This outfit she so willingly modeled for me today is part of her back-to-school wardrobe. Although seeing how much she loved it and how sweet she looked wearing it, I don't know if I can wait that long before I put the outfit into her clothing rotation.


5 comments:

Lola said...

The best teachers are the mamas at home. That's the reason I stayed home as long as I did. My kids were the smartest kids in the block and kind a shielded from the outside world influence as long as I could. The most important thing was to enjoy their childhood before going to regular school age.

No matter what you will make the right decision as a parent.

Lola said...

The best teachers are the mamas at home. That's the reason I stayed home as long as I did. My kids were the smartest kids in the block and kind a shielded from the outside world influence as long as I could. The most important thing was to enjoy their childhood before going to regular school age.

No matter what you will make the right decision as a parent.

Meagan said...

I hear ya on the uniform thing. Kay went to private pre-school and she had to wear a uniform. As much as I loved those smoked dresses a kid in knee high socks is pretty darn adorable.

Either way Grace will be cute! Don't forget about the bows made to match the uniforms, soooooo cute.

Julie, the mama said...

I feel your pain on all accounts. Boss is way more ready to go to school than I am for him to go to school. I also agree on the smocked dresses. But I am also a sucker for a cute little plaid uniform.

Michael said...

It's hard to imagine Grace is old enough to go to school already! She is still such a baby.