Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Keepin' Busy and Tinkle Progress

We should be used to this by now, but it doesn't ever get any easier. I don't care if it's for a few months or a few weeks, saying goodbye is hard.

Today was all about keeping busy- I did laundry, reorganized Grace's toys, moved furniture around, and cleaned while Grace encouraged me with lots of "Good job, Mama! I'm so proud of you!" It's hard not to feel motivated about dusting and polishing furniture when you've got your very own cheerleader.

Then, later in the day it was my turn to play cheerleader. Grace tinkled in the potty three times today! The first time she did it, I sang ("Grace went pee-pee in the poooottty!") and did a little dance. I even gave her a piece of candy. The second time, we both sang and danced. And then I gave her a piece of candy. By the third time, she didn't care so much about the song and dance and went straight for the candy.

I hope I'm not exchanging a potty trained child for a mouth full of cavities. It's just that I've been using stickers to encourage her to sit on the potty, regardless of whether she actually does anything in it, and when she actually DID do something, I felt like I had to give her something a little more to acknowledge it. Thankfully she loves to brush her teeth so she won't mind the extra brushing.

As exciting as the tinkling in the potty was, I know she's far from being fully trained. The five dirty underpants I had to wash are evidence of that. But it's nice to finally see a bit of progress.

Me: What are you doing? (After seeing her lay there for a few minutes)
Grace: Relaxing.
Me: Oh, okay....


Completely fascinated by the tree bark. One of the many things I love about young children- they notice and are intrigued by things we grown ups take for granted.

There are two sets of stairs to get to our living area. I was doing some redecorating and decided this chair, that has been sitting in the garage since Christmas, needed to come back upstairs. Why I couldn't decide this when my husband was still home last night, I have no idea.

3 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

I so had to laugh about the chair. That is such a Julie move!

Yay for potty progress!

Meagan said...

That chair has me cracking up! I've done that a time or two. Or three.

I'm excited over the progress with the potty!

Lola said...

Yehey Grace, good job my darling!!!

I saw the chair before reading your posting and I asked myself, "what is it doing there? I laughed after scrolling down.