Saturday, March 5, 2011

It's Becoming an Addiction

Grace received a sweet surprise from her Ninang Glenda in the mail today! Thank you!

I never thought about going to consignment sales until my friend, Julie, kept talking about all these amazing things she found for her beautiful children. In fact, my mom is probably cringing every time I excitedly talk about all these 'used' clothes I'm getting for her grandbaby.

But here's the thing- I believe in dressing children like they are children. While it can be cute when little baby girls are dressed like mini grown-ups, I would much rather see them in those classic looks- smocked dresses and mary janes. They grow up fast enough as it is; why rush it with the way they look in clothing?

That said, it can be difficult looking for these classic styles in today's stores, and if you do happen to find something, they are exorbitantly priced. Hence my new addiction, consignment sales. You can pick up the sweetest little dresses for $3! And let's face it, toddlers aren't exactly careful with their clothes, so if she happens to stain it, rip it, etc., I'm not going to hyperventilate because I didn't pay $70 retail for the dress.

Grace and I went back to the consignment sale from the other evening because it was half-off day. I picked up a couple more dresses and a few small odds and ends. I know she doesn't really need any more dresses, but they were only $3 and I just couldn't resist them at that price. See what I mean about this consignment thing becoming an addiction?

Then it was off to Panera's for lunch where we sat next to this sweet grandma who doted on Grace and thought she was the cutest thing, even as she made a mess of her meal and kept trying to crawl under the table, nearly knocking the whole thing over. This child of mine can be such a handful, but the moment she gives her sweet smile and her shy little wave hello (picture a hesitant Miss America kind of wave), all is forgiven, even by strangers.

Next it was afternoon naps for the two of us, play time outside, a trip to the park, and then back home for dinner, bath, and bedtime. It was a fabulous Saturday!

I've been on the lookout for a basketball hoop at all these consignment sales, but I haven't had any luck yet. Until then, this ghetto version will have to do...


After breakfast I told her it was time to get dressed, and while I was cleaning up in the kitchen, she was in her room obediently following my instructions. She pulled clothes out of her drawers, managed to put on a pair of red pants (over the ones she already had on), and was on the search for a 'pretty dress' to go with it.

3 comments:

Meagan said...

I couldn't agree with you more about children dressing as children. It breaks my heart that my K is out of bishops and mary janes.

Michael said...

It won't be long before not only will Grace pick out which clothes to wear but also which clothes to buy. And, of course, her preferences will not be the same as her mothers!

Mike and Cicely said...

I know, Dad! That's why I'm taking advantage of the executive privilege I have now. My time of dressing her how I want is very limited! :)