Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ashes on My Forehead

That's all Grace could talk about after we went to Ash Wednesday Mass. She couldn't stop staring at my forehead and kept trying to touch it. When it was time for bed she made sure to tell me, "Wash my head, Mama, because it has ashes on it." I should have taken a picture of her with the ashes, but I forgot about it until after I had already washed her face.

The rest of the day I spent in contemplation. I wish I could say it had to do with the beginning of Lent, but no, it had to do with our Charleston trip planned for this weekend. I've been looking forward to it for a long time, but last night, Mike warned me that he would have duty on Friday and Saturday was now a working day for them. So Grace and I would pretty much be on our own until Sunday. For goodness sake, I was planning on leaving Sunday! Now I'm not sure if it's even worth it to go at all.

Believe it or not, I have been trying really hard to stay positive about Farrah and the crazy mess she puts us through. Although some days, I have to admit she gets the best of me and leaves me shedding a few tears. And I absolutely HATE that. The only thing I don't mind shedding a few tears for is a cheesy Nicholas Sparks novel. Charleston is a beautiful place and it might be worth it to go, if only for a change of scenery. A mother/daughter weekend trip to Charleston- that could be fun, right?

Now back to Lent. I have decided to give up soda, candy, and Facebook until Easter. There is no more soda or candy in the house to tempt me and I have deactivated my Facebook account. Wish me luck that I can make it through without my little indulgences!

She begged me to wear her new bunny dress today and even told me, "Iron it, Mama!"

It was super windy this morning.

3 comments:

Meagan said...

LOVE that dress!

Farrah is a real you know what. I'm sorry Girl, I am already dreading our next sea tour.

Michael said...

Grandma says the bunny dress is adorable on Grace.

Julie, the mama said...

Love the dress. Can't stand that stupid boat. Or at least her stupid schedule. (Kidding, of course, but it does stink.)