Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Mother's Love

If a mother's love were enough to keep her child from harm, then Grace would never get a single scratch. But as much as I wish it were so, that's not the way life works. It breaks my heart that despite the unfathomable depth of my love for her, I can't always keep her from harm.

This past week has been very difficult. It is the worst feeling in the world to see your baby hurt. But with each passing day, I can see how much she's healing. I am quite sure that the speediness of her recovery is due to all of your prayers. There are lots of people praying for my girl, and for that, I am so grateful.

I know there are lessons to be learned in every life experience and these are two important ones that I've taken away from this one...

**I chose my husband well because he is my perfect partner. The test of a relationship comes not during the good times, but during times of trouble. I do not know what I would have done if Mike were not there to comfort me and give me strength. I had one person to take care of- Grace. He had to care for two people- Grace and me. It was as if he could read my mind and anticipated my needs, sometimes before I even realized I needed it.

**Grace is one tough little girl. I already knew this. I just didn't realize how tough. She has amazed me with her resiliency and happy spirit. Everything has been business as usual with her meaning the toys are scattered around the house, all the throw pillows are on the floor from her jumping on the sofa, she gets excited when it's time for Dora or Elmo, and my favorite- lots of 'I love you's' and kisses and hugs.

I am so blessed to have such love in my life.

Showing me what's for dinner.

Devouring the fried rice.

She refused to let go of her daddy's gift, a doll with feeding accessories. She toted them around all day long.

4 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

Oh, Cicely. We sure have been praying for all of you. So loved seeing that beautiful little Grace on the blog tonight. I sure have missed her. And the Grace stories.

What a blessing that kids are so resilient.

Meagan said...

Cicely, so true what you said about a mother's love. I just have to tell you how great Grace looks!!! First off, she is just as beautiful as ever and, obviously, as happy. That smile is just precious!

We have really missed reading about Grace, so glad y'all are back to blogging!

Michael said...

We can't believe how fast Grace has healed! We are so thankful that she is behaving normally and moving past her injury. We know Grace would not recover as quickly as she has without her parents' love and constant care.

Stay safe, all of you. We'll see you in a few weeks.

Love,
Grandma and Grandpa

Sharen said...

You are an amazing family. I just read this (November) and my heart ached and rejoiced as I read about your situation. I'm happy to see she is still smiling so beautifully. :)