Friday, October 8, 2010

Her 1st Book Fair

I don't know what it was that turned me into a bookworm. Maybe it was the fact that I didn't watch a lot of TV as a little kid- we lived in the Philippines where it just wasn't popular at the time, and then Korea where I couldn't understand anything. Maybe it was watching my mom read all of her Danielle Steele novels. Or maybe because every time I asked for a toy the answer would almost always be no, but if I asked for a book, I knew my mom would buy it.

One of my favorite memories as a kid was going to a book fair with my mom and her letting me get every single book I wanted. For a bookworm like me, it was like being released into a Toys'R'Us and being told to pick out whatever I pleased. I was in heaven.

To this day, I get such a thrill at going to book fairs. All those lovely books for only a dollar each? What's there not to like? I used to go to those things armed with two rolling suitcases and a sweet brother who didn't mind helping his nerd of a sister stock up on books.

It's been years since I've been able to go to one, but today I took Grace to her very first book fair. We went with my friend, Liezel, the moment they opened, and I filled Grace's stroller with all kinds of goodies for us. I was on such a high for the rest of the day at knowing I got so many great books for such a deal.

My little bookworm in the making.

And then a miracle happened. Mike came home from work early. The sun was still out and even schools were still in session. I was in shock. But I quickly got over it and dragged him to the book fair so he, too, could experience the wondrous event. He got a couple books and I, once again, filled Grace's stroller.

When we got home and he saw all of my loot, he asked me if we had room for all of these books that are currently piled up on the kitchen counter. Not really, but a true bookworm will find a way....

This book was one of the treasures I got at my very first book fair. And I found a perfect copy of it at today's book fair for Grace!


Grace's treasures from her first book fair!

3 comments:

Lola said...

How I wished I was there with you too at the book fair. Good to see that Grace got some of her own. Awesome!!

Michael said...

It looks like Grandpa has lots of books to read to Grace when we visit next month!

Dinah left Zachary's toddler books with us when they went to Tennessee so Grace has books to read when she visits Virginia Beach, again.

We love you all,
Grandma and Grandpa

Anonymous said...

I remember being dragged, I mean, invited to one of those at the Pavilion... And if I remember correctly it was your second trip.

Love you all!
Michelle