Sunday, April 10, 2011

Shake Shake Your Booty and a Weekend Recap

We were driving around running errands late last week when Grace asked me to turn the radio to a "Shake Shake Your Booty song." Maybe she had a premonition of how crazy busy the next few days were going to get and was trying to keep me pumped up. You can bet that for the rest of the day, I did my best to please my backseat DJ by making sure the play list included plenty of 'shake shake your booty' songs.

That night, my parents called to let me know they would be on their way to Jacksonville to whisk me and Grace away to Virginia Beach as soon as Mike left for a month long underway. True to their word, they arrived Friday morning, just in time to say goodbye to Mike.

The rest of my day was spent packing and laughing at my parents and their crazy ways. And I mean that in the best and most loving way. You see, not only did they drive through the night to get to us, but they filled up their rental van with restaurant sized pans of food, 2 huge boxes of various snacks, and at least three dozen bottles of drinks. All for a ten hour, overnight trip.

Saturday morning, we set out on our little road trip to Virginia Beach, with a nice little two hour stop in Savannah, Georgia to eat lunch, look around and do a little sightseeing. The rest of the drive went by pretty quickly, even with all of Grace's requests for potty breaks. I realized there are definite advantages to a non-potty trained child during a long road trip.

By the time we got to Virginia Beach, it was past midnight, raining, with a packed car to unload and a little girl who insisted, "I'm NOT tired. I don't want to go to sleep!" She was completely wired and I was completely exhausted. Not the ideal combination. Thankfully, Grace was just all talk because a minute after the lights were turned off, the girl was fast asleep and snoring.

The first half of Sunday was spent recovering from the trip. Grace didn't sleep in- the child NEVER does, no matter how late she stays up the night before. But she did take an early nap that lasted several hours. The rest of the day was spent going to a late Mass with Lolo and Lola and catching up with the Augustine grandparents.

A few of my favorite pictures from the past few days...


It has inadvertently become our little tradition to go out for an ice cream treat the evening before Mike has to leave for an extended period of time.


A little daddy and daughter time.

We tried to take a family picture but couldn't seem to get a great shot because I kept messing up the timer. Although it's not the best, this one makes me laugh.

This is a picture of a girl who is not tired and doesn't need to go to sleep. Taken about 30 seconds after she told me so.



A very tired Grace and all her grandmas- Grandma, Lola, and Great Grandma.

Mike and my replacements during bedtime story time.

2 comments:

lola said...

Just enjoying and having a great time with my cantaloupe and lola's love (GRACE).

Julie, the mama said...

What sweet, sweet grandparents. Enjoy having all that help for the next month!