Monday, February 18, 2013

Trying to Keep the Romance Alive

Mike and I promised each other that we would always put our marriage first.  After all, once the children are grown, it's just going to be the two of us again so we better make sure we're still sweet on each other when that time comes.

Still, it can be challenging to keep that promise when there are two little ones that require SO. MUCH. ATTENTION.  Don't get me wrong.  I gladly give my babies all the attention they want and need because they're only this little for such a short amount of time.  But at the end of the day, I'm so exhausted that the last thing on my mind is 'romance'.  Sleep is a precious commodity these days!

In this phase of parenthood, we may not be going out on as many date nights as we once did and I spend more time in raggedy pajamas covered in Cheerios and spit up than in sexy lingerie, but I still try and keep the romance alive.

This morning, I decided to send Mike a racy text message while he was at school.  A hint of things that might happen if I weren't so darn exhausted, he wasn't so stressed studying until 2 in the morning, and we didn't have a baby who still wakes up several times during the night.

I couldn't even enjoy my romantic moment for a minute before I was pulled back to reality.  Grace left her opened container of Aquaphor (an ointment with a Vaseline consistency) on the floor and Claire was having a good old time getting her hands in it and rubbing it on her face, hair, clothes, and carpet.

You can see all the mess on her hands and face if you look closely.
This was a nearly full container before Claire got a hold of it.
The other exciting event of the day was that the Blew girls came for a quick visit as they were passing through town.  Mike was kind enough to offer to babysit all 4 girls so that Julie and I could go out to lunch solo.



0 comments: