Sunday, February 10, 2013

Go ahead and eat first, Daddy

Our usual Sunday morning routine is this- Claire wakes up and I bring her into my bed hoping to nurse her back to sleep so Mike and I can sleep in for just a little bit longer.  It's all for naught because Grace comes creeping into our room and climbs into our bed a few minutes later.

When Mike and I were newlyweds and bought our queen size bed, we thought it was huge and had plenty of room.  Add two little girls to the mix and there's not much room at all.  Not that I'm complaining.  Having all four of us just lounging in bed, greeting each other with good morning kisses, and laughing at Claire as she attempts to crawl all over us is one of my most favorite things in the world.

Then, since sleeping in is no longer an option, Mike will go downstairs and make a pancake breakfast for us.  After breakfast, there is a mad dash to get everyone ready and out the door so we can make it in time for  the 9:00 Mass.  Most of the time, we're successful.  But I definitely feel like my mother when I have to put my makeup on in the car.  She used to do the same thing when I was little and I always used to wonder why.  Now I know.  With two kids to get ready, there's just never enough time!

After church, Mike went to school to get some studying done and I took the girls to the movies.  The only kid movie out right now is "Wreck-It Ralph".  Not exactly Grace's girly kind of movie, but I was trying to bribe her with something since I wouldn't be able to take her to a birthday party in Virginia Beach as planned.  I wasn't feeling 100% yet and since Mike couldn't come with us, I didn't think I'd be able to handle the two girls at a skating party.

We ended up loving the movie!  It was really cute!  Claire did awesome after the first half hour when she fell asleep for the rest of the movie.  The first thirty minutes were a little nerve wracking though since she didn't want to honor the 'silence is golden' rule.

The rest of the day we spent just hanging out and waiting for Mike to come home.  When it looked like it would be a really late night for him, I bathed the girls and got them ready for bed.  Then Mike called and said he was on the way home so I told Grace I would postpone her bedtime for a little bit until Daddy could come home and read her a bedtime story.

When Mike came home, Grace immediately asked him if he would read her a bedtime story.  After he said he would, she very sweetly told him, "Go ahead and eat first, Daddy."

It took us a couple of minutes to realize that she wasn't really that concerned whether Mike ate dinner or not; she just wanted to postpone bedtime so she could finish watching a show on TV.  It's kinda scary to think that she already knows how to work her parents.  Secretly though, I think Mike is a little proud that she was smart enough to think like that.  I'm just concerned that if she can think like this at 4 years old, what more when she's fourteen?

While big sister is enjoying her bedtime story, this one would rather make a mess of the books.

1 comments:

Lola said...

Claire is just picking out her books for Lola to read when she comes for a visit. Lol.