Saturday, July 2, 2011

Two Hour Detour

We were reluctant to leave the Keys this morning, but Mike had something special in store for us on the ride back. Instead of taking the most direct route home, he said that if we took a little detour and drove on the Everglades Highway, aka Alligator Alley, it would be a cool drive and we might even see some gators crossing the road.

In an adventurous mood, I agreed. And after he told me he had always wanted to do the drive on that road, I couldn't say no. Ever since he said goodbye to Catherine, I feel like I need to indulge all his car/driving wishes- at least for a little while.

So, this is what our scenic drive through Alligator Alley looked like...




I was a little less impressed with the drive than Mike was. When he said 'Everglades' and 'Alligator Alley', I was picturing us driving through swamps and dodging gators every few feet or so. To be fair, Mike and I both spotted an alligator sitting in the water. Quite honestly though, it really might have been just a log.

To make the detour worthwhile, I made us stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch instead of the usual fast food drive-thru that we eat on the road.

Even though it took us a little longer to get back home, the drive was very pleasant. Grace was an angel because she basically slept the whole way, thanks to a dose of Benadryl I had to give her for an allergic reaction to a bug bite on her face.

Honestly though, it wouldn't have mattered where we were going because I enjoy road trips with my crew. There isn't anywhere else I'd rather be than stuck with those two.

0 comments: