Friday, July 22, 2011

My Chance at Prom

There are some Navy wives I talk to who do not enjoy the fact that every once in a while, we have to attend formal events with our husbands that require us to find prom-like gowns. They say it's inconvenient. They don't see the point of these events. They say they have other things they would rather do. I nod my head and commiserate.

Secretly though, I rather enjoy these things. You see, when I was in high school, I never went to ring dance or any kind of prom. I was a quiet, shy girl. And I was going through a strong nun phase where I thought I wanted to be the next Mother Theresa of the Philippines. I had the poor people of Manila to think about; I couldn't be bothered with finding a date or a pretty dress!

I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything back then. But every once in a while, I do feel a tiny pang of regret for not participating in that rite of passage. So when Mike tells me of upcoming formal events, instead of dread, I feel excitement. I get to relive what it must feel like to get ready for prom- looking for the perfect dress and figuring out what to do with my hair and makeup.

It's the best feeling to experience it as an adult because I can wear whatever I want and stay out for as long as I want- no curfew! And the absolute best part for me is that my date looks just like Prince Charming. I mean, how can you not enjoy the evening and feel like a princess with Prince Charming by your side?

The event we went to was Farragut's dining out, a formal dinner for the officers of the ship. It was held at the beautiful TPC Sawgrass. My only regret for the evening was not bringing my good camera. The scenery was gorgeous and the little camera we brought just didn't do it justice.


The only picture we took of the two of us with the golf course in the background and we both blinked. All I kept thinking when I looked out on the green was, "Tiger Woods plays here!"

I can't post an entry without including Grace's picture. While Mike and I were out enjoying the evening, she stayed with our dear friend and sweet neighbor, Joan.

5 comments:

Meagan said...

You look stunning!! So glad y'all had a good night out. :)

Nellie said...

So gorgeous, you never cease to amaze me! Glad you got to go to the dining out!

Michael said...

Both of you look great!

Julie, the mama said...

Definitely a fun part of the Navy. You know, I didn't go to prom either. I was dating a guy in college at the time, and thought I was too mature for the prom. Silly, silly me! (As a result, I will INSIST my girls go to the prom!)

Julie, the mama said...

Oh, and obviously you look BEAUTIFUL. LOVE the dress.