Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Missing Corn

Grace is a picky eater. Meal times are still a source of stress for me because the child eats like a bird. But there is one thing that I know she'll eat if it's on her plate- corn on the cob. Corn kernels, not so much, but if it's on the cob, she will devour it.

With fresh corn in season, it's a regular side for dinner around here. I was getting ready to cook when I noticed that there were only three of the four ears of corn I had shucked earlier sitting on the counter. I was confused for a second, thinking I miscounted, and then it dawned on me that someone may have sneaked the corn off the counter to play with it.

Sure enough, when I called out to Grace and asked her if she had some corn, she said, "Uh-huuuuuuh."

I went to retrieve the corn and this is what I found.

She was eating the corn. Raw!

I quickly googled 'is it safe to eat raw corn?' and breathed a sigh of relief when I found that it was perfectly fine.

This reminds me of a quick little story from a few weeks ago. We were shopping at the grocery store and I had turned my back on Grace to pick out a bunch of bananas when a lady came up to me and informed me that my child had gotten a hold of the bag of broccoli in our cart and was trying to eat it. I quickly turned around and told Grace to stop because 1) the broccoli had not been washed yet and 2) we needed to pay for our food before we could chow down on it. Her response, "Awwww! But I LOVE broccoli!"

This is what she looks like when she's over it- in this case, my taking a bazillion pictures of her and trying to get her to look at the camera and smile at the same time.

4 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

Hahaha!!!

You know, in a lot of ways, I think these "real deal" pictures will be some of our favorites one day. Love her Over It look.

Aunt Megan said...

We miss ya'll so much! Grace is like me, I love the fresh corn too! lol

Michael said...

Aunt Megan will GLADLY share her broccoli with Grace!

Meagan said...

That over it picture is hilarious!