Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snow Envy

Any time I jumped on Facebook today, all my Virginia friends and family were posting updates and pictures of all the snow they were getting. I even enjoyed a morning conversation with my brother, who normally would have been teaching, but was instead out shopping for Christmas presents because schools were closed for the day.

I ended up with some major snow envy. The temperatures have recently dropped here in Jacksonville, but we're nowhere near seeing any of the white, fluffy precipitation. All the talk of being snowed in made me miss being a kid when my mom would make us all kinds of treats after playing outside, my favorite being champorado (chocolate rice porridge). And while I certainly know how to make champarado, it's just not the same if it's not my mama making it for me.

All the reminiscing made me want to eat something that reminded me of my childhood, so for dinner, I decided on making a ham, egg, and cheese sandwich- one of my mom's specialties.

Grace and I had to make a grocery run so we bundled up in our long sleeve shirts and sweaters, anticipating another cold day. We got outside and I immediately had to peel off her jacket because we were back up to the 70's today.

What a tease that Virginia is getting the winter wonderland makeover for the holidays and I'm back to wearing short sleeve shirts and flip flops.

Admiring mama's new shoes.

3 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

So funny. I'm actually jealous of the 70 degree temperatures. Probably because I spent my childhood in south Georgia, and we NEVER had snow down there. Guess we all just like what we grew up with?

Aunt Megan said...

Sis, those are some adorable shoes!

Michael said...

We will gladly give you ALL of our snow AND our 28 degree Virginia Beach temperature in exchange for your 70 degree Jacksonville temperature!