Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Time Out for Mama

Grace has been known to tell me to go away when she is trying to do something sneaky or forbidden. Like when she wanted to squeeze the leftover blackberries from dinner- a common thing she gets in trouble for- and told me to go check my computer.

So when I walked into her room this morning and was told, "No, Mama, get in (she meant out)," I was immediately suspicious. I reluctantly complied by stepping just outside of her door, all the while sneaking a peek to make sure she wasn't up to anything mischievous.

Turns out the girl just wanted a bit of privacy while she did her business, something that she has been doing more and more the last few weeks. But other than the random potty breakthrough a month ago, she has shown no interest in using the potty.

When she was done she marched out of her room, grabbed me by the hand, lead me to a corner in the hallway, and sternly told me, "Stand right there. You understand, Mama? Stand right there."

I was put in time out by my child.

I was amused, but it was eerie because the way she put me in time out is exactly how I put her in time out. She even had the tone down pat.

To be clear, Grace really doesn't go into time out all that much, but when she does, it's for more serious infractions. I guess I had committed a pretty serious infraction in her eyes. Lesson learned.

My little partner in crime eating all the junk food that I said I wasn't going to eat anymore. But I still am. I don't have a strong enough resolve when it comes to denying my sweet tooth.
Grace told me to take a picture of her blue tongue because she wanted to show her Daddy.

4 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

I love that your first child is such a cute little messer. It gives you more time to soak it all in. And to document all of these hilarious stories.

Nellie said...

This little girl! My gosh! I'm with Julie, thought. It's great that she is your first child and you can enjoy the moments.

Meagan said...

So cute! I just love that she wanted to take a picture to show Mike.

Michael said...

It always amazed us how children eventually do EXACTLY as their parents do, throughout their lives!