Wednesday, June 8, 2011

We Should Be Used to It

Being left behind for days, weeks, months at a time because Mike has to work is nothing new to me and Grace. We should be used to it by now. But no matter how many times it happens to us, and regardless of how long we'll be apart, it's still difficult.

Thank goodness it's only for a few days this time. The funny thing is that I can't even blame Farrah for our time apart because she is actually undergoing renovations. This time Mike had to go underway on another ship. Can you believe it? Oh well, such is the Navy life.

So, as usual, Grace and I are going to keep busy to make our days fly by. Today we spent the day shopping. And it's looking like we'll be doing much of the same tomorrow. I am on a search for something to wear to an upcoming formal event for Mike's work.

I used to think shopping for dresses was lots of fun, but it's more work than anything else when you have to do it with a two year old in tow. I made sure to pack a variety of snacks and toys, but even that wasn't enough to keep her from trying to open the dressing room door as I was in various states of undress. Or commenting on my body parts and underwear. Or trying to stuff popcorn down my underwear.

However, she did tell me I was 'gorgeous' or 'beautiful' every time I asked her how I looked. It was almost enough to forgive her for happily announcing to a man waiting for his wife, "My mama's panties is pink."
Just a quick note about the band-aid on the chin: It was a mosquito bite (Mike says pimple) that she kept scratching until it bled. The only way I can get her to leave it alone is to cover it with a band-aid.

2 comments:

Nellie said...

That child is always bandaged! BTW, LOVE the dress. Totally appropriate for the dining out.

Julie, the mama said...

So glad you were just talking about Mike being gone. I saw that place on Grace's chin and immediately thought she had stitches are something crazy. Whew!

I know you turned all kinds of shades of red at the panties comment. For the record, I laughed out loud.