Saturday, June 18, 2011

End of an Era: an Ode to Catherine



Hello everyone - Mike here. Today was a bittersweet day for the Augustines. With the addition of Max into our stable, Catherine had been up for sale and finally had a buyer today. As you can see above, even Grace, who's known Catherine her entire life, was sad to see her go. Fortunately, she went to another caring family. They were a young couple who had a son that was born 5 days before Grace! He was excited to have Catherine in their family when we dropped her off. For those of you who can't fathom such emotional attachment to a car, think of a pet that's been in the family for 10 years - same thing for us. For me personally, she's been with me since my last semester at Va Tech, and throughout my time in the Navy. Cicely and I drove off from our wedding in that car. In 30 years, I'll be telling my grandkids stuff like, "I never should've sold that Camaro."

A few pics from her time as an Augustine car:


With a few NFL cheerleaders in 2002...


On a car cruise to St Augustine in 2004


While at Supply Corps School, in Athens, GA, in 2005



On a trip back home to Blacksburg...and of course where there's a covered bridge, there's a photo op.


On a road trip with some random attractive Asian girl I figured may be fun to hang around with....


We decided to hang around with each other for a bit longer...


Transferring title paperwork to her new family.

6 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

LAUGHING!

Aunt Megan said...

Bye Bye Catherine...

Meagan said...

Cracking up!

Lola said...

I am teary eyed while reading the family history of Catherine. I am an old sentimental lady I guess.

Mike said...

FINALLY. A woman who understands! I always knew that's where Cicely got it from. All these younger generation ladies and their misplaced sense of humor.

Love ya, Mom.

Michael said...

We never thought you would ACTUALLY SELL Catherine. We thought you would have her forever. It saddens us even more to be reminded of her through the years by your pictures. But, now with Catherine gone there will someday be room in your driveway for another Catherine built by Corvette.