Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Last of the Onesies

I have been dreading organizing Grace's closet. Honestly, it's because I hate putting away clothes she's outgrown. It's yet another undeniable reminder that she's growing up way too fast for me. But I was tired of how messy her drawers looked from trying to stuff them full with clothes, so I finally tackled the dreaded chore today.

I was doing really well- meaning no sentimental tears over favorite outfits she'll never wear again- until I got to the onesies. To me, onesies are the symbol of babyhood. They were one of the first pieces of clothing I ever put on Grace. If I could, I would make her wear onesies until she was twelve years old. But unfortunately, they don't make them that big. The ones in her dresser drawer are the very biggest size they come in, and she has sadly outgrown them.


To help me get through the moment, I made Grace, who was quietly playing with her dolls on the floor, give me tons of hugs and kisses. I also made her promise me that she would stop growing up so quickly. She repeated the words, but I doubt she meant them because she giggled the whole time.

In the end, I couldn't put those onesies in the container with the rest of the outgrown clothes. I folded them up and put them back in the drawer. Maybe next time I can muster up the strength, but not today.

My little lady crossing her legs, just like her Aunt Megan taught her.


1 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

I remember feeling the same way about onesies when I just had Hendley.