Saturday, June 11, 2011

Get Glad

When I dropped Mike off at the ship before sunrise Wednesday morning, I was under the impression that I wouldn't see him again until he got off work Monday. So I was pleasantly surprised when I found out he would be home in time for dinner Saturday before heading back to his own ship for duty Sunday.

I was ecstatic. But the news also threw me into a state of frenzied activity. I was just planning on eating cereal for dinner and microwaving some mac and cheese for Grace since our stove is still broken. I couldn't feed my man cold cereal and microwaved mac and cheese after coming home from an underway. What kind of a welcome would that be? So I made a quick grocery run for a meal that I could grill.

Once that was done, I had to put the house back in order. I kind of relaxed my rules of housekeeping while Mike was gone and Grace took full advantage of it. Toys were everywhere. When I started to stress about getting it all cleaned up in time, I asked Grace to help me. She thought it would be super helpful to dump out toys that I had just put away.

Before I could even get upset, she calmly said, "Mama, don't get mad. Get glad!"

As always, the girl knows exactly what to say to get herself out of trouble.

We picked Mike up from the ship, grilled our dinner, and then went out for some Italian ice for dessert. It was all so unexpectedly wonderful. Much better than the Cranberry Almond Crunch and microwaveable mac and cheese I had planned.

Grace is dying to take a ballet class, but I can't find one that will take a two year old around here. She asks me several times a day, "Can I go ballet?" Here she is doing some ballet while we were grilling dinner.


Even doing her moves while sitting in her baby bathtub that she found in the garage.

2 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

The Get Glad comment had me laughing out loud. That girl of yours is a hoot. So happy your husband is home.

Meagan said...

YaY for Mike getting home early! That's always a wonderful (and sorta stressful) surprise.

Love the ballet pictures.