Monday, December 15, 2008

"What's Wrong With Your Feet?"

It never fails in my life that just when I start feeling good about myself, I get knocked down again. God has a way of keeping me humble, and in this case, it was a painfully honest young child.

I've come to terms with the whole weight thing and have even been quite proud of myself the past week and a half because I've been faithfully keeping up my daily exercise regimen of walking on the treadmill for an hour and eating healthy- absolutely no junk food. It's killing me, but in the end, I suppose it's what's best right now.

I even got a pregnant woman's dream compliment on Friday night when I was introduced to someone and she exclaimed, "You're so tiny!"

So the next day, with my renewed self-esteem, I attended an art auction and decided to doll myself up- high heels and all. None of my dress shoes fit me properly at the moment and I had to buy myself a pair of granny shoes last week, but I do have one last pair that I can fit into if I shove my feet in and ignore the numbness.

I walked into that place feeling good. My hair and makeup was done, I had on a pretty dress, and I even managed to wear heels! I said hello to the people I knew and took my seat. Then Aliyah, my friend's adorably cute 7 year old daughter, came to say hello and sat next to me talking for awhile. Before she left, she looked down at my feet and with all the innocence of a sweet child asked, "What's wrong with your feet?"

Since I haven't seen my feet for a few weeks now, I just figured I probably had dirt on them since I was wearing an open toe shoe. But the moment I caught a good glimpse of my feet, I knew exactly what the child was talking about.

Because I had shoved my swollen feet into too-small shoes, my feet looked like they were going to explode! And at that same moment, I discovered that my ankles had disappeared. It's official- I now have cankles. I knew my feet were swollen, but I hadn't realized they were THAT swollen.

Just another thing to add to my growing list of pregnancy humiliations.

Thank goodness I only have 6 weeks left.

Here I am at 34 weeks wearing what I thought was my 'sexy' outfit- as sexy as you can get for being eight and a half months pregnant anyway. If you look carefully at the picture though, you might be able to spot them...

1 comments:

Bill said...

Laughing out loud over this post! You will look back on this and laugh one day.