Friday, December 5, 2008

A Few Silly Tears and a Christmas Party

I've been feeling pretty bummed since my last doctor's appointment but I'm slowly making peace with the fact that while it's true I've put on more than a few pounds during this pregnancy, at least that's ALL I've got to worry about. The baby is healthy and doing great, all my prenatal tests have turned out fine, and Mike still swears that he'll love me no matter what- even plus-sized.

Despite all that, I had a bit of an emotional meltdown last night while getting ready for Mike's work Christmas Party. Mike found me in the bathroom, all dressed up and ready to go, but sobbing like crazy. I don't even know why the tears started. Maybe it was thinking back on all the past years when I thought I was fat and how ridiculous I was for thinking that when I now know what it truly feels like to be big. I was also thinking how everyone at the party would be beautiful in all their Christmas outfits and I would look like a cow draped in a red dress.

Basically, I was carrying on a one person pity party. It was not a pretty sight.

Eventually, Mike was able to calm me down and after reapplying my make up, since I had cried off my first application, off to the party we went. Being amongst friends and all the festivities lifted my spirits and I can honestly say that by the end of the night, I had a fabulous time. It was fun seeing everyone dance and I even got out there and danced to a couple songs, even though dancing with a huge belly can be a bit of a challenge.

Mike and the guys. I gave him permission to wear his VT Santa hat. It is, afterall, a Christmas party and if you can't wear it to a party, when can you wear it?

And just to torture myself a little more...




Here I am with Kazumi at last year's party when I thought I had put on some pounds.










And here I am with Mike at this year's party where I really have put on some pounds. But like everyone keeps telling me, it's all for a good cause. A big thank you to my wonderful friends for all their words of encouragement!

1 comments:

Bill said...

So glad you had fun. I remember being HUGE at a GW Christmas party, and being miserable so I could totally relate to this post.

The weight will fall off fast. Don't worry!