Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Big, neh? GIANT!!"

We have the sweetest little old Japanese custodian lady in our building and although we don't speak each other's language very well, we somehow find a way to communicate with each other. Usually our conversations are limited to "Ohayogozaimasu" (Good morning), "Konnichiwa" (Hello), and various forms of hand gestures/signals and bowing. Since finding out I'm pregnant, she's added "Baby daijoubou?" (Baby okay?) to which I respond "Hai" (yes).

Today she added another one to her repertoire. I was coming back from my walk around the neighborhood when I ran into her in the lobby while I was waiting for the elevator. We went through our usual greetings. Then she took a good look at me and with her eyes wide open said, "Big, neh? GIANT!!" with a tone of disbelief and amazement. To which I responded, "Hai."

Previously I would've just shaken it off as miscommunication or lack of English words, but the number on the scale at the doctor's a couple of days ago is proof that I am indeed big and, apparently, gigantic. See if she gets a Christmas present this year. Just kidding! Thank goodness for my sweet husband and my dear friends who lie to me and tell me I still look fine or else my self-esteem would really be in the toilet.

You'd think comments like that would slow me down in the eating department, but nope, I still chowed down on the monkey bread I made earlier that morning. My main motivation for going on a walk anyway was to let the bread cool down enough so I could come back and eat it.

2 comments:

J-mee!! said...

You are too funny! You are not giant, girl! You just worry about taking care of yourself and your little one! :) That bread looked Yummy!! :)

Bill said...

Take it from someone who gained 80 lbs. with each pregnancy...you look AWESOME.