Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Baby Project

When I first met Mike, I knew he was the one for me. He was witty, he was charming, he was a gentleman, AND he had dimples. What more could a girl ask for? It's now four years later and I've long since realized that he's got a lot more going for him than just charm and good looks. He also knows how to build stuff.

One of the things I planned on when designing the baby's nursery was to have hanging letters that spelled out her name decorating the wall. I was going to just order them online, but when Mike saw what it was I wanted and how much it would cost, he assured me he could make them himself. I was skeptical. Very skeptical. Don't get me wrong- I knew he could build stuff. For Christmas one year, he built me a beautiful stepping stool for our very tall platform bed. But what I wanted for this project required an artistic hand and a little bit of finesse. I wasn't sure if he could pull it off in the way I envisioned the finished product.

I should learn not to doubt my husband. He did a beautiful job! I love the way the letters look and it means so much more now that he made them for the baby than if I had just ordered them on the internet. The nursery is pretty much done and I hope to update the blog with pictures of the finished room shortly.

The designing stage of the baby project.


Hard at work cutting out the letters at the wood shop.


Almost done. (Notice the embarassed look on his face...he hated that I was taking pictures of him working in the wood shop. Apparently, it's uncool for a wife to be impressed with her husband's skills in front of the other guys.)


The finished project! Isn't it beautiful? And cost just a fraction of what I was going to spend. Now that I know he can handle this kind of job, my mind is coming with all kinds of other projects for him to work on....

2 comments:

Bill said...

Who knew he was so talented? What a special gift for his baby girl! Seriously, they look awesome. I can't wait to see the nursery pics.

Anonymous said...

Awwe man! Michael did an awesome job making those letters! He's starting to be just like Dad... insisting on doing everything himself.

Love, Megan