Thursday, December 8, 2011

34 and Feeling Wonderful

I am officially 34 years old. And I feel wonderful! When I was in my early teens, I thought being in my thirties meant being old. I mean old as in wearing Christmas sweaters with sequins and jingle bells on them. Girdles. Wrinkles. Gray Hair. And while I do not own any Christmas themed sweaters, will remain silent on the girdle wearing (Do Spanx count as girdles?), and admit to the crow's feet and the beginnings of stray gray hairs, I still feel wonderful.

That's because I have a very blessed life. These days, birthdays aren't about presents anymore; it's about counting all my blessings. I'm so grateful to have so many blessings for which to be thankful- good health, a loving husband, and a sweet child, with another on the way, are among the most important. Life is good.

So even though I had to spend another birthday without Mike, it was still a wonderful birthday. My sweet girl helped me make my birthday cake and kept me laughing all day long. I received a couple of great surprises throughout the day. And I ate my weight in chocolate without feeling even a teeny bit guilty.

As always, a shout out to my mama, who had an integral part in making this day happen for me. Thanks, Mom. Happy BIRTHday to YOU, too! After all, 34 years ago, you're the one who was doing all the work.

A surprise delivery from my brothers!


Of course, Grace got the first taste.


Then I received another special delivery from Mike- a cupcake flower arrangement. Grace thought she could eat this one, too, just like the previous delivery.


She sang "Happy Birthday to Mama" and then helped me blow out the candles.


Chocolate fudge cake with coconut pecan frosting and chocolate covered strawberries. Grace ate her entire piece and half of mine. She gets her love of chocolate cake from her mama!

2 comments:

Meagan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

That flower arrangement is too cute!

LOLA said...

HAPPY AND BLESSED BIRTHDAY TO THE GREATEST DAUGHTER EVER!!!!!

LOVE YOU VERY MUCH. MWOAH!!!