Saturday, August 15, 2009

Newborn Days Revisited

Grace's newborn days were rough. Very rough. I could cry from lack of sleep kind of rough. But everyone assured me that those days would pass, and sure enough, they did. My baby eventually let me sleep for than a couple of hours at a time. Then in Virginia Beach, she started sleeping through the night! I was the envy of mamas who were still dealing with their babies waking up in the middle of the night.

I was very grateful, but I should also have been more humble.

Ever since we've been back, Grace has been revisiting her newborn days, much to my dismay. No longer is she content to play quietly when I put her down- she protests by crying loudly. My easy breezy baby has regressed to her high-maintenance days of being held constantly. My six hours of uninterrupted sleep during the night are no more.

I'm hoping this change is just in response to adjusting back to life in Japan. I'm hoping this phase is brief. I'm hoping my easy breezy baby will re-emerge again very soon.

But despite all of this, we're still having a good old time. Here are some pictures to prove it...


Trying on her Aussie hat again- this time at a jaunty angle.

Riding in her new umbrella stroller chewing on her new favorite- her sandals.

We took her to a movie where she was pretty well behaved.

We took Uncle Josh to his first Japanese eatery.

I take a ton of pictures, but unfortunately, family shots are a little rare.

Crazy Hair!

Daddy's back on diaper duty, but this is a new development for him- a squirmy baby who won't stay still. I know this looks painful, but the pose was entirely Grace's doing, and she was not hurt in the slightest. In fact, I think the silly girl had a blast giving her daddy a hard time.

Daddy also has dinner duty now. She tries to make us laugh by blowing raspberries while her mouth is full. But Mike with his military training never loses what he calls his "military bearing." He can keep a straight face through it all. I don't know how he does it because as hard as I try, I crack up every single time.

0 comments: