Sunday, January 11, 2009

Surprise! It's a Baby Shower...


I've always dreamed of becoming a mother and along with that is the inevitable baby shower that a mother-to-be gets. However, I thought that because we lived in Japan away from family and friends, I would not be getting a baby shower. Especially since I am less than 2 weeks away from my due date.

And I hate to admit it, but in the interest of full disclosure, I was feeling quite sorry for myself.

But that pity-party I was throwing was all for nothing. On Saturday, I thought I was walking into my friend Vernessa's house for an afternoon of girl talk but was greeted instead with a houseful of friends, adorable baby decorations, tons of gifts, and a beautiful pink cherry blossom cake. I was walking into the baby shower of my dreams!

I am blessed beyond belief to have such a supportive and loving group of friends here. My unspoken fear when I became a Navy wife was that because of all the moves I would inevitably have to make that finding good friends would be difficult. But my experience so far has erased that fear and I now know that I have nothing to worry about.







My friend and baby shower hostess, Vernessa, made me a beautiful 'diaper' cake. It has different sized diapers to use as Virginia Grace grows with hair bows and headbands for icing and topped with newborn onesies and baby shoes! It's so beautiful that I don't want to take it apart!


Here I am with Vernessa and Maritza- the two baby shower party planners!

Recently there always seem to be 3 pregnant ladies at baby showers, but this time, I've moved up to the top of the birth order list.

Everyone kept asking me if I was truly surprised or if I somehow had a clue that I was walking into my baby shower. All I have to say is look at my outfit, hair, and lack of make up. Does it look like I was expecting to be guest of honor at a party and have my picture taken all afternoon long???

Virginia Grace is one lucky baby- look at all her presents!

3 comments:

J-mee!! said...

How exciting!!! No, Virginia yet? Can't wait to see pictures!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you were truly surprised and had a great time. I had so much fun planning your shower. Thank you for making my transition to Japan so much easier.

Vernessa

Julie, the mama said...

That makes me SO happy. You deserve the most beautiful shower, and your sweet friends came through!