Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Homecoming...


So after a long weekend of ups and downs filled with fevers, infections, sugery, IV's, thermometers in every place and all sorts of drugs, visitors and phone calls from family back in the States - my girls are finally home. This is undoubtedly the next step towards the daily trials and tribulations of a new set of parents, chronicled ever so eloquently by a beautiful English teacher via the blogosphere. But first, I wanted to thank all of the U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka staff who worked a long weekend in the maternity ward, all for just one baby (we were the only ones there).

Here is LCDR O'Connor, he was the Family Practitioner who was on duty in the Maternity ward on the day Cicely went into labor.




Here's LTjg Kristal Smith - she was the duty Nurse the night of Labor.




This is CDR Stoker - she's the OB that LCDR O'Connor decided to call in when things looked like they were getting a bit more serious - she eventually made the call for a C-Section, and also performed the surgery.


Last, but certainly not least, is LT James Estoesta. He was the nurse who had just taken the shift when Cicely just took her epidural. Of all the people on this list, James by far, had the most positive impact on Cicely, me, Lola, and most importantly, Grace. As it turned out, he was actually the husband of Cicely's aerobics instructor, and more importantly, he's one of the breast feeding consultants at the hospital - and to top it off, he lives two floors above us in our tower - how convenient! Throughout the 3 days we were there, James showed the most competence, confidence, bedside manner, and leadership ability (he had some really bad junior Corpsmen working on his shift - which didn't do us any good). James, my hat's off to you, brother.

Cicely and I are forever grateful to all of these fine Medical Officers for bringing our beautiful daughter into this world - a world that as we knew it, no longer exists...but will only get better with each new day.

3 comments:

Bill said...

She is absolutely beautiful (must get that from Cicely)! Enjoy being home with her and introducing her to the world. Take care.

Julie, the mama said...

We are so tickled for your precious family of THREE. Rest while you can!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike and Cicely,

James has been asking me to come down to say Hello, which I will do today. Once I got the go-ahead, I've been having affairs with the elliptical, treadmill, WII Fit, and Zumba. We got the CD's and thank you note! As his wife, I am so proud at what he does, even though I joke that he's always "in vaginas and boobs" all day long. Thank you for recognizing what I see in my awesome hubby! Trust me, receiving a "thanks" goes a long way and reconfirms that James really loves his job.

Give us a call anytime 246-7967. Cicely, I'll start teaching Zumba in March.

We just had a baby ourselves on 12-18-2008, so I can share your struggles of sleepless nights and nursing... WOW!!! Nursing - now that's a story I'll have to tell you in person, even with James being a Lactation Consultant!!!

Joannemay Estoesta
"The EstoBESTos"