Monday, August 4, 2008

Spontaneous Weekend Getaway


My sweet husband surprised me with a weekend trip to Tokyo which included a romantic candlelit dinner. I know that once the baby is born, spontaneous getaways will be rare, if not down right impossible. So I fully appreciate these moments because I know that they're numbered. Here are a few pictures from dinner...

Mike couldn't quite figure out how to eat his soup at first. Turns out you have to break through the pastry shell that was baked on top of the soup bowl. Fancy!



Surf and Turf for me and quail and polenta for Mike. We were a little taken aback that the quail looked like a huge meatball. I guess that's what happens to quail when it's part of a fancy dinner.






After dinner, the plan was to take a romantic walk around Tokyo, but I was so full and I was afraid of getting sick and losing my precious lobster that we decided to hang out at the hotel bar instead. We had a lot of fun people watching and enjoying our drinks-- Shirley Temple for me and some froo-froo type drink for Mike (see picture). Actually I'm only making fun because I was jealous of his drink, a Mint Oreo concoction- it smelled divine!


The next morning was spent lounging around the pool and then indulging in a spectacular all-you-can-eat brunch which included ice sculptures and shrimp cocktail. Gracious! I ate so much this weekend I think I put the baby in a food coma. I started to feel the effects of my overeating after brunch, but Mike still had one more surprise in store for me. So I ignored my pre-nausea and ventured out onto Tokyo's hot city streets in anticipation of this...



I have been craving Krispy Kreme donuts since BEFORE I got pregnant. We once wandered around the city of Akihabara in search of the elusive donuts after seeing a woman carrying around a box. But this time, we actually found them. In Ginza, Tokyo's '5th Avenue' District. I don't remember how much a dozen donuts cost back home, but I vaguely remember buying them from my fundraising students for about $5 a dozen. Check out how much they cost here!















It roughly comes out to $1.60 a donut, $16.00 a dozen, or a deal at $30 for 2 dozen. Naturally, the bargain hunter in me went for the best deal, so I made Mike buy 2 dozen.

















Here's his thrilled expression after my 2 dozen donut demand. But in return, he gets to be with one happy and satisfied pregnant woman. Am I a lucky girl or what??

1 comments:

Bill said...

You do have a fantastic husband, and he is going to be just as great as a daddy!

So glad y'all got to get away before you get to the uncomfortable stage.

Hope you enjoyed every single one of those donuts!