Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Little Love Affair



I've just finished a little three day love affair.  No worries, I was still faithful to my wedding vows and my husband.  In fact, my husband was the one who instigated the affair.

It all started about a month ago when I put a big old scratch down the side of Ruby, my trusty Volvo, as I was pulling into the driveway and ran into the mailbox.  I was mortified, but that's another story entirely.

Fast forward to earlier this week when Ruby finally went in to the auto body shop to get all prettied up again and Mike got me a rental in the meantime.  He came home with what I have always wanted since finding out I was pregnant with Grace- a van AKA the Swagger Wagon.  If you don't know what a Swagger Wagon is, google the term and prepare to laugh hysterically.

When we moved back stateside after Japan and were in the market for a family car, I begged and begged for a van.  But it was all for nothing because as amazing my husband is, the man is stubborn when it comes to vehicles.  He refused to even entertain the idea of a van as our family vehicle.  And so we adopted Ruby into our family.  While I still sometimes pined for a van, especially in those parking lot moments when those wonderful automatic sliding doors of a Swagger Wagon would be such a godsend, Ruby treated me so well that I just had no room for complaints.

But when Mike came home with a van, that was the beginning of my little affair.  Please forgive me, Ruby, but my goodness, that white van made my life with two small kids so much easier those three days!  Hands full while it starts to rain and you have a baby carrier and a toddler to quickly heft into the car?  No problem!  With a press of a button, doors magically slide open and the toddler can climb in by herself while you set down the groceries/etc. and click the baby carrier in place.  I was actually looking for errands to run, just so I could drive the van around town. 

I could go on and on about the advantages of a van, but I know my husband would just roll his eyes, so I'll stop here.  In his defense, the few times I went out without the girls, I did feel a bit like a bus driver.  But since most days I run around without any makeup on, my hair in a bun, wearing clothes that are more functional than fashionable, I was okay with that.


Seriously though, these are my true loves...
Love #1



Love #2
Love #3

0 comments: