Sunday, September 28, 2008

Welcome Home, GW!!



Many of you know that while Cicely and I lived in Virginia Beach, I was stationed on the USS GEORGE WASHINGTON (CVN 73) - what you may not know, is that the GW holds a special place in our hearts because when the ship was first commissioned (ie handed over to the Navy from the shipbuilder), on July 4th, 1992, Cicely and I were both at the ceremony but just didn't know each other then - We were only 14 and 12 years old! Her Dad was a Senior Chief onboard GW at the time, and my Dad was invited to the ceremony, so he took me too. Neat, huh?



Here she is tied to the pier. No longer stationed out of Norfolk, the GW is now permanently homeported here in Yokosuka, as part of the Forward Deployed Naval Forces - it took a lot of negotiating for the Japanese to allow a Nuclear powered ship here; after leaving Norfolk back in April, she finally made it! Anyone like my 'Top Gun' look???

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a coincidence that was =] And your Top Gun look is amazing bro. haha

-Little Sis