Monday, February 18, 2008

Dealin' Death.....


As Cicely stated below, the Wi-Fi has been down all weekend, but God Bless the Army MWR guys who were here working on the problem the whole time - it's back up and now I have some catching up to do.

We started our M-16 shooting on Thursday, with an initial 'zero-ing' of our rifle sights relative to our personal sight picture. We were given 4 magazines of 5 shots each to zero in our sights on the target.



Here is the Drill Seargent scoring my target. At 25 yards, the small target simulated a 300 meter target. To zero, you had to get 4 consecutive rounds within a 4 cm square. In case you were wondering, I zeroed on the first magazine - the first time I've ever shot an M-16. No bragging, just fact. All that X-box 360 training DID do some good!

After the precision shooting, we trained on the 'quick, aim, shoot' tactic. This is used when on patrol, and there's no time for obtaining a sight picture - it's pretty much point at shoot within a second or two of spotting an insurgent.












Here are two other JO's from my platoon - Kent and Ian. We had MRE's for lunch and the pic on the right shows the post cards that were cut out from the box of pears that came with lunch - conveniently enough, it was Valentine's Day - so I now I had a card for Cicely! What great timing!

Back on the range, time to get familiar with the Beretta 9mm pistol; we use these extensively in the Navy, so nothing new to this trained killer!

The kneeling position was new to me, but pretty simple to master. Even my kid sister could shoot this gun well.











That's all for now folks! I have class all day today, but will post an update on Friday's shooting events this evening.

2 comments:

Bill said...

I mean this is all fun and all, but why do you need to know how to shoot all of these guns? You are a Supply guy, for goodness sakes...

Anonymous said...

Hey who you callin' "kid"?

-Megan