Friday, May 2, 2008

Random Act of Kindness


Last Friday night I reluctantly went out with a few of our friends to a local hangout, Vahanas, in Zushi City. I almost suggested to make it a guys' night out. I was that tired. But then a girlfriend called sounding excited to finally be going out and I just couldn't let her down. I am so glad I went because if not, I wouldn't have scored myself a box of heavenly Krispy Kreme donuts.

There's a long list of things that I miss from back home, Krispy Kremes being one of them. But what makes this craving worse is that I know they have Krispy Kremes here, but I just didn't know WHERE to get them. While exploring neighboring cities on the weekends, I'd see random Japanese people carrying around boxes of those delightful treats, but with my extremely limited Japanese, I didn't know how to ask where in the world they got them. One afternoon, it got so bad after a donut box sighting that I made Mike wander around Akihabara searching for the elusive Krispy Kreme store. No such luck.

But last Friday night as we were sitting in Vahanas enjoying our drinks and conversation, in comes a Japanese couple with not one, not two, not three, but FOUR Krispy Kreme donut boxes! And then they sat down at the table right next to us! Hoping that they got them nearby, Mike somehow communicated to them, using hand signals and rudimentary Japanese, "Where did you get the donuts?" When the guy answered, "Ginza", my heart sank because Ginza is about an hour and a half away. Oh well, there goes yet another unfulfilled craving, I thought.

Well, I guess the guy saw the disappointment in my face and in a show of true Japanese kindness, he gave me a whole box! Not just a donut to taste, but a WHOLE BOX to devour!!

There are some things about living in Japan that can be frustrating, but it is all made better by the extraordinary kindness of Japanese people.

1 comments:

Bill said...

ok, yum! I too LOVE them, but can usually resist the temptation to eat them often...UNLESS I am pregnant. When I was pregnant with Hendley and the boys were underway, I was at Krispy Kreme waiting on them to open one morning. I took home a dozen donuts and ate them ALL before 10 a.m. Just last week, I bought another dozen, and ate all but one (I felt bad and gave one to Hendley). Just seeing this post makes me want to run out and get a box!