Sunday, October 14, 2007

I Caught a Fish This Big!


OK, not really me, but on Saturday, we went to a place where lots of other people caught enormous fish-- The Tokyo Tsukiji Fish Market. Visiting here was not my idea because I still have memories of when my parents would take me to the fish market in Korea...smelly, dirty, raw fish guts...not my idea of a good time. But I figured, Mike's been such a good sport whenever I want to go on shopping expeditions that I'd compromise on this one. I agreed to go, but I didn't promise that I'd have a good time.

Here we are at the beginning of our fish market tour. Notice the difference in our expressions.








By the end of our time at the fish market though, I surprisingly had a great time. I eventually became numb to the smells, which in truth, weren't as bad as I remembered as a child. The market place was so busy and there were so many interesting things to look at that it was impossible not to have a good time. Take a look at some of the things we saw. If you're squeamish about seeing raw fish being filleted, you are hereby forewarned...

Inside of the marketplace

The constant traffic makes a traffic controller necessary. I love how he's in a suit and cap, but in fisherman's boots!


















Fish, fish, and more fish!















Fillet'o'Fish!! Check out the size of that knife. Mike got in trouble for getting too close here.












There was even a taxodermy shop!








Despite my initial reluctance about going to a fish market, I'm so glad Mike suggested this trip. Where else would I have experienced all this?

2 comments:

Bill said...

Believe it or not, I found this to be the coolest excursion yet. And those knives did look sharp. I see why Mike got in trouble! :-)

Keep the pics coming. I feel like I'm getting an education from your blog.

Cicely - I want to know more about what you do on a day-to-day basis. What is a typical day in your life like over there???

Mike and Cicely said...

Julie- Honestly, my typical day isn't nearly as exciting as yours. You've got a precious baby and a cute dog- I've just got Mike ;-) But just for you, I'll do a blog of my typical day soon.