Sunday, May 20, 2007

Our Humble Home


Ikego is our new home here, and it's about 25-30 minutes away from the base. Above is a picture of our tower, Miyajima Heights. We live on the 7th floor and have really fantastic views from our balconies.












We were really fortunate to get housing so quickly, but it took forever to get our stuff!! Don't get me wrong, I was ecstatic to be out of the Navy Lodge, but I still didn't feel quite at home without all of our things. So the day our household goods arrived was a happy day! They said the delivery was to be made between 8am and noon. I was up early like a kid on Christmas morning, giddy with anticipation! Of course, the delivery guys didn't make it until 11:59. Here's a picture of Mike calmly waiting and making the most of his time by playing his PSP. Meanwhile, I was on the balcony frantically searching for any sign of a truck that might hold our stuff.

When our delivery guys ( a crew of Filipino guys) finally arrived, the chaos of boxes and packing paper began. I was trying to unpack as quickly as they were bringing in boxes, but it was impossible. Just as I was about to finish unpacking a set of boxes, they would bring in a dolly stacked high with a whole new set of boxes. It was a long day of unpacking and figuring out where things belong, but the end result was worth it. Finally.....home....


Here's the kitchen. We have a really old and loud fridge, and we were promised a new one before we moved in. Ummm, yeah, that was a month and a half ago. For a while, I resisted making big grocery runs in fear that they would call me to let me know that they were replacing the fridge and I would be stuck with defrosting food. But I think it's safe to say that my dreams of a new and quiet fridge have died.















This is the dining room and balcony. I love the big sliding glass doors that lead out onto the balcony with a great view. I would, however, change the ugly 1990's lighting fixture. Unfortunately, I can't because of the whole Navy housing thing...














Here's our living room which I'm happy with. I do miss having a mantle and fireplace though. In the house, all my favorite things were displayed on the mantle, and I had a hard time trying to find a new place for them here.















Here's the master bedroom, which is a little smaller than our old one, but it's still bigger than what I thought we would get. For that reason, I'm definitely grateful because I love my bedroom furniture and I would've hated to have to put any part of it in storage.















And finally, Mike's playroom. This is a bit of a misnomer though because he currently doesn't have any gaming system, other than his PSP, so he doesn't actually do any playing here. He is constantly hinting at getting a new system, to which I reply, "Sure, for your birthday." And just like a little kid, he replies, "But it's sooo faaar awaaayy!" Who knows? Maybe if he behaves himself, he'll get an early birthday present...

3 comments:

Bill said...

Cicely, you have the place decorated beautifully. I can't wait to read about your Japanese adventures!! We miss y'all!

Anonymous said...

Cicely, Can I hire you to unpack and decorate for us the next time we move! We still have packed boxes from a year ago!

Anonymous said...

Mike and Cicely,
I'm just now catching up to all your blogs. I like your 3 BR apt. It looks really nice. If I ever make it out your way I'll let you know.